Become a Site Coordinator
Global Month of Service is your chance to make a difference!
If you would like to be an Event Coordinator and post an event for the HAA Global Month of Service, follow these steps...
Identify local non-profit organizations willing to host volunteers for the month of April and beyond. Here is a sample letter
you can use to recuit an organization.
Once you have identified an activity and organization, assign yourself (or someone else) as an Alumni Site Coordinator
We will post your event on this website, send emails out on your behalf and start taking registrations for your event happening in and around April.
Harvard Serves” Global Month of Service Hosting Tips
To help make your event a success, below please find a number of “hosting” tips.
- Make sure that you have filled out the activity registration form.
- If you keep a separate list of volunteers, please make sure they have also registered online on the Harvard Serves website or the local club/sig website. This will be the only way to ensure that your activity does not go over capacity.
- Send an e-mail reminder to your group the week of or day before the activity so as to get a better sense of the numbers. Please include:
- Your e-mail, cell number
- Address and time of service activity (subway stop, directions, etc.)
- Whether food/drinks will be provided.
- Remind the participants of any special things to bring or wear depending on project.
- You might suggest a no-host gathering spot near the activity before or after so people can meet each other and share experiences.
- Please arrive at the volunteer site at least 15-20 minutes in advance of the activity. Should your activity require strenuous physical exertion, be aware of emergency procedures prior to the arrival of volunteers.
- You should wear a Harvard t-shirt to help identify yourself.
- Take attendance. You will have a final registration list of volunteers. Please have all attendees check in with you when they arrive. Please get the name and email addresses of all “walk-ins”.
- Introduce yourself (and any other co-sponsoring hosts) to the group once there is a critical mass of alumni in attendance and thank them for coming.
- If you can gather the group, please have people introduce themselves to each other. We want alums to connect to each other as well as to the project.
- Bring a camera! We would love to add a picture or two to the website after the activity is completed. Make sure to take at least one group photo. Please have all participants sign a Release Form (Adult or Minor) so that we can include the photos on the Harvard website. Please return scanned document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take a few minutes on the completion of the project to gather and reflect on what this service meant to the organization and to individual alumni
- Remind the group that the HAA will email out an online survey the week following the event.
- Have fun!