Sponsored by the Harvard Club of New York City
Date & Time: Ongoing
Sakshi’s US branch focuses on providing a platform and bridge for supporters and volunteers in the US who want to become part of Sakshi’s work in India empowering thousands of distressed children, women and communities break the vicious cycle of poverty.
Sakshi's work is concentrated in the fields of Education, Health and Community Development which we believe are the areas of greatest need and deserve to be the foci of our attention. We believe the three are inter-related fields and together the only way to make a sustainable and impactful difference in beneficiary populations in deprived areas.
Being the only grassroots NGO/not-for-profit in India which provides full-spectrum services in all three fields of Education, Health and Community Development, we are able to provide destitute children, women and communities with a comprehensive path from poverty to prosperity and fully empower them to tread it successfully.
We work for the upliftment of the poor and destitute by helping them achieve socio-economic independence, self-sustainability and health. We do everything from providing educational and health services to the needy, mainstreaming marginalized street children, making low-literate youth employable and empowering women. We help the needy with full respect, love and commitment, with the aim to not deliver charity but empower them to better their own lot.
Over eighteen years, Sakshi has grown to 120 centres and managed to carve a path to a beautiful life for thousands of marginalized young children, women and communities.
Our Projects: Education Projects: Early Childhood Care and Development Centres, Non-Formal Education Centres, Remedial Education Centres, Library Program, Girls Education Project, Adult Literacy Program Health Projects: Water, Hygiene & Sanitation Project, Health Services Project Community Development Projects: Building Awareness about Education, Mission Convergence Partnership with Government of Delhi, Upliftment of Girls and Women's Empowerment You can learn more about us at our website www.sakshingo.org
We believe “Everyone has something to give”.
1. Lawyers: Help us do our filings as a not-for-profit.
2. Doctors/Nutritionists/Hygienists: Help us develop materials for our Health and Hygiene camps for children, women and communities in need – includes health check-ups and talks on Health and Hygiene, Nutrition etc and demos of nutritious cooking on a restricted budget.
- Write a street theatre piece for our Community Development programs. Subjects include Importance of Girls Education and How to maintain Health and Hygiene. Will be enacted by the children in our education centres in local communities in India to build awareness about important subjects.
- Write a play for our supper theatre benefit
4. HR Professionals/Training Professionals: We provide Gender Sensitization training and supervision to corporates. Contribute to the development of these materials and modules.
5. Web designers/Graphic Designers/Writers/Photographers:
- Contribute to our annual brochure, newsletters and website.
- We train University students in social work and teaching. Contribute to the development of the training materials.
6. Fashion and IT Professionals: Help our Vocational Training graduates get a start.
- Develop designs and sales plans for our Sewing, Cutting and Tailoring class.
7. Strategy and marketing professionals and others with a creative bent: We have strong brand equity. Can we leverage it better to expand our projects ? We have strong expertise in the fields of Education, Health and Hygiene, Poverty Alleviation, Women’s Empowerment and Gender Sensitization. Can we leverage them to develop revenue streams for the organization ? If you think these questions are interesting and you like building new projects and taking organizations to a new level, please contact us to discuss opportunities at hand.
8. Are you creative and do you like to organize, to accomplish ? Be part of the Sakshi “Everyone has something to give” Program and start your own initiative.
It can be something as simple as forwarding our annual newsletter to your family and friends with a nice cover note to consider gifting their near and dear ones a dedication plaque on their birthday by sponsoring food or medicine or an education centre or health camp.
Or it can be a creative project which plays to your skills. For example, a German volunteer went back to her country and put together a calendar, the sales proceeds of which funded water purification systems for our education centres.
9. E-entrepreneurs: Contribute to the development of our E-learning portal plan.
10. Radio professionals: Contribute to the development of our Community Radio Station plan.
11. Know anyone with a motivating story, someone who has achieved a lot in their life, someone who has triumphed against the odds, someone who has carved an enjoyable life, someone with insights to share ?
Recommend their name for our Visitor Program – come and motivate our children, youth and communities to overcome the odds, provide a role model for them.
Past visitors include US Ambassador for Women’s Issues, Ms. Melanne Verveer, Princess Alexandra of Denmark and CEO of Room to Read, John Woods.
12. Be a Project Partner. Initiate a project partnership with your foundation or corporation. Location - worldwide and virtual, unless it's an activity that you have to be on the spot for like participating in a health camp or teaching, then the location is New Delhi, India. Have something else to contribute? Have a great idea? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Jaya Tandon at email@example.com, +919871388887 (India), or +3474409548 (NYC)
Additional Information: This service opportunity is also available in India and around the world/virtual.
Friday, 03/1/13 at 12:00am - 12:00am | iCal
25 Tudor City Pl, Ste 221
New York, NY 10017